[Pentamation] Excel template Journal Entries?

Nick HOGAN Nhogan at hoodriver.k12.or.us
Sun Sep 28 12:59:49 PDT 2008

I've been trying to use the new feature added in Finance Plus version 4.1 and higher that allows you to upload a journal entry from Excel.  I finally got it to work, but I struggled with CSV vs TXT formats and wanted to know if anyone can explain the piece I don't understand.  You set up your template for either csv files or txt files, and then save your Excel journal entry as a txt or csv file before uploading it.  I set mine up as a csv file first, and what seems to happen is saving your JE as a csv file drops any leading zero's, so certain account numbers (such as Cash, 0101000) become invalid.  So instead I changed my template to use txt files, and they seem to work, but I'm curious what other people have figured out.  Are any of you successfully using csv files for your templates, and is there any reason I should prefer one format over the other??

Thanks, Nick Hogan
Finance Director, Hood River County School District
(541) 387-5010